Sunday, August 8, 2010

San Antonio, The Alamo City

HOT! That describes San Antonio. Okay, maybe not just hot, humid too!!! Beautiful city with great hospitality. Although, I did get homesick and missed my husband and dog.

I had the great pleasure of attending the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) Annual Meeting in San Antonio this past week. I attended some terrific lectures, learning a great deal; and of course, some that weren't so great. I also got to meet Dr. Michael Roisen, author and doctor "enforcer." He was quite entertaining to listen to. Come to find out, his best friend is the Dr. Oz! Kind of cool, huh?

I stayed at the historic Menger Hotel. The hotel opened for business in 1859!!!! Of course it has been updated and now has air conditioning (thank goodness), but it is so quaint and FULL of history. There is so much history in that city...I had fun learning the history and looking at the pictures.

Of course, I had to visit the Alamo as well. Too bad the original grounds are so different from years ago... Now the Alamo stands in it's original place with the "barracks" in the original place, but the original front yard is a busy street and Ripley's Believe it or Not. The Alamo and it's garden (now behind it) are a great place for reflection (if you go late enough and there aren't too many people there).

Did I mention San Antonio is HOT? Being from Wyoming and living in Utah for so long, the humidity nearly did me in. It was beautiful, but very hard to spend too much time outside. I did walk the Riverwalk every night and had the most amazing dinner at Las Caranias. Incredible dinner!!! I cannot rave about the food enough! Delicious, 100 star, out of this world!!
I had so many pictures of the Riverwalk (more like a canal than river); too many to post! Fun place to sit and watch people. Not too many stores, mostly restaurants.
The Menger Hotel, opened February 1st, 1859
The original Victorian Lobby of the Menger Hotel.
The fountain was at the Menger nearly from the beginning. It is in the original "patio" of the hotel.

The Alamo: Remember the Alamo, battle started February 1836 (a really long time ago!).
An Alamo Hospital room. Surgeons were commissioned to stay at the Alamo and care for soldiers.
The garden and reflection area of the Alamo grounds.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the Menger haunted? SA is one of my favorite cities EVER. So much so, I planned a conference there at the Westin. I love the Riverwalk, it's so beautiful! Lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky! I love your pictures! I want to go to San Antonio, mostly to watch the spurs play.

    ReplyDelete