Sunday, October 17, 2010

All Good Things End (for a short time)

Another camping post...I know, but it's what we do during the summer. LOTS of pictures this time; I had too many cool ones to chose from. This trip was likely our last for the season. Time to winterize the trailer and look forward to a winter of quilting for me and skiing for Steve.

Since I had Friday off, Steve took the day off as well. We went a little further away than typical...Nebo Loop on the Juab/Utah County Border. The scenic byway can be entered from the north in Payson, Utah, or the south in Nephi, Utah. Steve decided we would go in through the south and find a place to camp. After driving a few miles, we found a spot and pulled in. We decided to walk a little further up the road and found an even better clearing. Looks like it's used to herd, test, and trailer cattle, but the cattle were gone from the area for the winter, so why not...right? Steve pulled the trailer in further and we got all set up.

Well in the process, we found the equalizer hitch bracket BROKE. The bracket holds the equalizer bar to the tongue of the trailer. The bracket is like 1/4 inch steel and broke completely...WOW, some stress on that. I was able to find the piece. The small hill must have been more angle than we anticipated. Then again, seems like that side has been stressed for some time and finally gave. Fortunately, it is fixable (that's a word, right?). Guess I should have taken some pictures of the broken steel, it is quite impressive.

Our spot turned out to be quite busy with visitors. There was a herd of deer frequenting the area. All does and fawns, but still amazing to see. I love waking up, looking out the window and seeing these beautiful creatures. The bucks are in hiding as the season opens next weekend. During the weekend, I saw hawks, deer, wild turkeys, and some grouse. Not to mention the incredible mountains and changing fall colors.
On Saturday, Steve and I went for a long drive on the Nebo Loop. We not only looked for off road (dry) camping sites, but looked at the campgrounds, and checked out the scenery. The drive took us down the Santaquin Canyon (BEAUTIFUL) then back up to Payson. Well, the map we were using was a little outdated, so we took a wrong exit. The last time I had to take detours was with my aunt and we stopped at quilt stores to make the trip better. Well, I said something to Steve about quilt stores on detours and the next thing I know, we pass a quilt store!!! So Steve (being the terrific husband he is) stopped! I didn't buy anything, but I still got to look. :)
Ending the weekend: another UTAH UTES win! Sorry to my Wyoming family and roots, but I must support my alma mater. Go UTES!

No comments:

Post a Comment