Sunday, October 31, 2010

It Sang to Me!

My favorite part of quilting is picking out the material for a pattern. I love looking at the colors, finding matches and creating a work of art. Rarely, do I buy a "kit." Kits include the pattern and the material for the top, borders, and binding. They tend to be a little more expensive, but there is little wasted material because the cuts are just enough. One day I was in Elaine's Quilt Block (a local quilting store) and saw this kit. The colors, pattern, material, everything was singing: "Buy Me, Buy Me, Buy Me; you love my colors." It's true, I loved the colors, the pattern, the borders...I bought the kit. Good news: I had a material card full so I got a fairly decent discount on the kit.



Piecing the top wasn't too difficult. Once the blocks were complete, the quilt went together fairly quickly. I added the borders and mitered the corners to add a little difficulty. I figured the material for the border would flow better with mitered corners anyway. The time-consuming aspect of this quilt was the quilting. I used stencils on nearly every block. I'm not the greatest at free-hand quilting so stencils are a great option. Each stencil has to be drawn onto the quilt, then quilt following the pattern. With so many blocks and a different pattern for each "type" of block, it took some time. One of my more "fru-fru" or traditional floral pattern quilts. I spent so much time on the quilting and it doesn't show well in the pictures. Oh, well...I still love the quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment